No Longer Self Hosted!
My Raspberry Pi web host is retiring!
I’ve decided to move my WordPress blog from self-hosted to a hosting company. A couple of reasons for this:
- Creating a self hosted WordPress site on a Raspberry Pi was a good educational exercise, but beyond the initial setup there was little to be learnt from keeping the little box running 24/7.
- While running cost wasn’t a factor, tying up the Raspberry Pi to host a blog wasn’t really putting it to great use. It’ll find a more active role in my homelab.
- I can free up my ISP IP completely for my homelab now.
- From a security point of view, I wasn’t too keen on having a publicly accessible device on my home network 24/7.
- The new hosting gives me some additional toys to play with other than WordPress, as well as some analytics and site stats.
I went with namecheap.com for shared hosting. Works out pretty cheap at about €15/year. Migration was a breeze with the All-in-One WP Migration plugin, and generating a new SSL cert took only a few minutes.
Looking forward to using my Pi
as a MAME emulator for other homelab uses.